ADS from NUFFNANG

Monday, August 17, 2015

One-Week Date! On the Wings of Love

(Courtesy of ABS-CBN) I know that JaDine is totally in right now... but they're not the main reason I watch On the Wings of Love

YAY! A few weeks after my totally IG-spammed post about Albie Casiño and how excited I am to see him regularly on TV again (which on my current blog level, has been overtaken by my CD-R King Bluetooth speaker PR), the new ABS-CBN TV Series On the Wings of Love has just arrived last August 10, 2015! 

I, Oliver Manlulu, have subscribed as a Free user of iWantTV just to watch Albie as Jigs Magtoto, the egocentric, overemotional junior manager who breaks up with Leah because the girl refuses to give up her American Dream (girl you have all my respect when you did that). I'm all for JaDine, really, partly because in retrospect I did post something about no girl would ever be good enough to be Albie's leading lady (not even Nadine, and she already has James!). I made an executive decision to watch #OTWOL on iWantTV the day after a new episode premieres on TV. (At least I didn't have to sit through the near-pointless remake that is Pangako Sa 'Yo when I wrote this.)

Generally I tend to stay away from Pinoy teleseryes whenever they get too heavy or formulaic (which happens to almost every teleserye unfortunately), with Coco Martin's Ikaw Lamang being the only exception to that rule. Dream Dad and Be Careful with My Heart, two other of my ABS-CBN faves, also had light-mood stories where the only permanent heavy stuff is the passing of an elderly character (Alex's dad and Lola Mamang respectively). 

Let's get down to business.


The cast of On the Wings of Love, courtesy of ABS-CBN.com

I made these reviews on a per-episode basis, and I'm ending this post with a quick summation of OTWOL's first week. Don't worry; I'd include some non-Albie related tidbits because seeing Albie back where he belongs is more than enough for me to watch OTWOL. I figured that I don't have to spam my post with so much screengrabs, as the teasers are enough... that is if I could find them and the full episodes uploaded on YouTube at the times I was typing this would no longer work (the YouTube episodes for the first three episodes were uploaded two days after the episode's first TV broadcast!!!). If you wanna watch, feel free to subscribe to iWanTV and watch Albie On the Wings of Love.


OTWOL EP-01 - Aired August 10, 2015 - #OTWOLArrival
The pilot episode. Thankfully, this is one of the FEW primetime teleseryes to not feature a week-long childhood background story of the lead stars. We're treated to an array of characters wanting to get a Visa for the US, with Jigs and Leah the more notable ones. Honestly, that scene where Jigs was making that pick-up line with the American representative is an Idiot Ball disaster in itself. (Although I kinda imagined Albie using that line on anyone else for real and the target, guy or girl, actually falls for him) Leah passes her evaluation though, and Jigs couldn't take that Leah will be going to the US ahead of him (her choir is competing!), and thus they broke up. Episodes ends with Leah and Clark's Almost Kiss.



OTWOL EP-02 - Aired August 11, 2015 - #OTWOLDestiny
Continuing from the previous EP, Clark coldly tells Leah not to spin around like a maniac in America and she gets a nosebleed. We're also treated a bit more to Clark and Jack's life in NYC, as well as Leah's primary mission to stay in the US after her local choir's performance. Oh, and Jigs, why'd you gotta look so adorable when you're such a hard-headed crazy jealous guy!? You should've seen me during a solo montage of Jigs. Looking at a brooding Albie reminded me how I was inspired to follow him more during his non-exclusive TV5 days... Hey, they've got Jason Francisco fresh from Forevermore! :)


OTWOL EP-03 - Aired August 12, 2015 - #OTWOLAmericanDream
We start with Clark's childhood background story. Again, I'm so glad I didn't have to go through the whole week-long saga with the kid versions of the lead stars when we could just go straight to the main story. Clark has a badass action scene and is polite about it. Leah's choir wins fourth place and she's begin her American dream from there, and Albie, er, Jigs, endorses yet another colorful tank top I want for myself (where did he bought those, anyway? I want to buy some for myself!) and throws a tantrum over shortage of international coverage. More Jigs news: who the heck is one of his handsome friends? And not to mention Jigs will do everything to win Leah back. Direk Antonette Jadaone and Jojo Saguin went for something a bit different, and it paid off quite well!



OTWOL EP-04 - Aired August 13, 2015 - #OTWOLSacrifices
With the trailers showing it all, both Clark and Leah are taking oh-so-many odd jobs to support their families in the PH. Leah officially begins her US-Adventures with prophetic warnings (complete with visual descriptions!) if Leah went the TNT route (read: illegal immigrant). Clark, on the other hand, gets into a singing contest on the bar he's also working. Watch out for the horror-movie-like scenario on Leah's work montage. Towards the end, we learn that Leah needs a Green Card to get more jobs in the US with no fear of deportation, and Clark needs tons of cash to pay off his debts from the shady guys of the previous episode (see above). Wait, no Jigs? THIS IS THE WORST EPISODE OF THE WEEK!!



OTWOL EP-05 - Aired August 14, 2015
Leah's visa is on critical status and she hasn't even get a long-term legal job. Meanwhile, Clark needs a lot of cash to pay off a loan shark. Tita Jack's suggestion that worked for her? Contractual marriage to a natural American. Cue Prospective Contract Husband Hunting for Leah! Well, after that epic fail, Tita Jack gives the offer to Clark. I skipped the unimportant stuff with no Jigs (or even his Beast Mode!) in it which is possibly the entire episode, and after that, Leah and Clark meet up for the first time... And I still can't believe Jigs is a no-show on this episode. WTF?

What I learned during the first week.
I was surprised writing this post, because initially I was typing this mostly for Albie alone. But a gracious part of me wanted to give a blow-by-blow account of OTWOL, even if there was zero Jigs on the last two episodes for the week. I'll have to say this series isn't the whole Cinderella-complex BS we see all too often. In fact, both of them are OFWs in America trying to earn for their families, with Clark being a naturalized-and-definitely-fits-the-look American. I'm glad this is one of the very few teleseryes that won't irk me, because I can predict light mood tones in this series. And more Beast Mode Jigs (face it, Bs, I'm here for Albie). Overall I can see the enjoyable factor in watching this show, even with the few forgivable snags in between. (If it became too dramatic, I'm pretty sure I would only watch the scenes with Jigs in them. Hehe.)

After this post I am still going to watch On the Wings of Love for Jigs. You can count on that. I don't have plans to frequently blog about OTWOL, but I would consider fanboying Jigs every now and then. After this I may consider getting an ABS-CBN Mobile number just for iWantTv...

I'm done with this article. Tune in for more RandOM Access!!

No comments:

Post a Comment