ADS from NUFFNANG

Saturday, August 8, 2015

The Five Books I'll be Reading Right Now

Taken from one of the trucks carrying the goods


Just recently at around 10:00 AM, my older sister and I went to a warehouse sale held by Books for Less, which currently has an on-going sale this August except for August 3, 10, 17, and 24. The crowd inside was massive. Tons of books piled up waiting to be read by a whole new group of curious minds. With all the books sold in this bazaar at twenty pesos (PhP 20.00), each page-turner is a BARGAIN! (Then again, anything that is sold for twenty pesos at specialty bazaars like these are a bargain.) I don't think I ever saw someone who went in that bazaar to buy just one great pre-owned book.

Now onto the books I added to our cart...



While my sister selected various children's books for charity donations (which I think is very much in no matter what season), a chick lit, a golf-related book and two beach-related reads (these ones are for herself), I bought five books not only for myself but also for the blog. Who cares if they're pre-owned, under-read books? All that matters is that substantial reading material (paperback books, newspapers, magazines about stuff you truly like) are always welcome in my blog!

Detailing my reading experience with retro books will keep me busy for quite a long time...
Now to the quick notes of the page-turners to keep me busy aside from the computer...

WWII Flashbacks: Blitz Boys (2000; Linda Newberry) - The shortest and only fictional book in the bunch, it tells the story of four young boys and how they find themselves getting into action during World War II. A huge emotional read which I have to fully understand should I give it a whole write-up.

Where's Dad Now that I Need Him? Surviving Away from Home (1998; Betty Rae Frandsen, Kathryn J. Frandsen, and Kent P. Frandsen) - A lifestyle book containing a tips on budgeting, household maintenance, and even a few recipes. This is a GREAT keeper! Now if only I could find a copy of Where's Mom Now that I Need Her by the same authors...

By the Seat of My Pants: My Life in Country Music (1993; Buddy Killen with Tom Carter) - Country music big-wig Buddy Killen tells his experiences with the greatest of American country music, most of whom idolized by anyone born in the 60s to 90s. The middle part has photo inserts of the author's life back then, which is a huge help to imagine the life he had when the novel was written.

After the Revolution (1994; Ralph Reed) - Dr. Ralph Reed showcases an image of a wonderful America governed by religious values, and how the Christian Coalition refuses to be the narrow-minded stereotype a lot of us tend to think they are. The current American regime may be more liberal, but when you read books like these about what America was like before the year 2000, you'd actually want a country world where everyone is protected by proper values. (Thank goodness they changed the title from Politically Incorrect. I could imagine all the unfortunate implications it can cause .)

Coloring the News: How Crusading for Diversity Has Corrupted American Journalism (2001; William McGowan) - America prides itself as a diverse nation. Ironically, as this book details, a double-standard is forming around what makes it in the reports of American journalism, such as favoring "oppressed" minority groups, dealing with women and gays in the military, and many other issues that is becoming the norm for present-day America.

For each book, I will publish the review post as soon as I finish the review. This will be my first major arc for BOOK JOURNEY and expect nothing short of me when I talk about my current read. If you're looking for a lesson to learn from this post, there are two: (1) Book fairs are awesome!; and (2) Any bazaar or store that sells PhP 20.00 for each goodie is a massive crowd-puller no matter what the item.

As of posting time, the Books for Less sale is still happening at #643 Mercedes Ave., Brgy. San Miguel, Pasig City, in front of La Consolacion College. For more details, call 6338563 / 6401743 / 09176309999. You can also e-mail bfl.bookfair@gmail.com, or visit their website ">here. This book sale lasts until August 31, 2015!

Until next time. Tune in for more RandOM Access!

No comments:

Post a Comment